Three Crosses in Vilnius
Three Crosses monument was designed by Polish-Lithuanian architect and sculptor Antoni Wiwulski in 1916. It was torn down in 1950 by order of the Soviet Union authorities. A new monument designed by Henrikas Šilgalis was erected in its place in 1989. These three white crosses are visible from most parts of the Vilnius city centre. A spectacular panorama of the Vilnius Old Town can be observed from a small observation deck at the base of the crosses.